Monday, October 15, 2012

Jelly roll strip stars Missouri quilt co.

I am working on my xmas stars made from Jelly rolls. I am making each of the points by sewing the background piece twice, 1/4" apart, cutting between the double row of stitching( forming the point) and making a pinwheel out of it like Bonnie Hunter shows on Quiltville.
1. Did NOT realize that half of these are right hand and half are left handed pinwheels
2. this is cause 1/2 are sewn opposite the other half in order to make stars from strips
3. It will make an equal number of each
4. It should be easy to use in a border or some other project.
5. Sashing and a little work should stop it from being a problem
6. it makes 8 pieces per star and that is 2 pinwheels: one is a left and one is a right

The blocks make an 11" block that may finish at slightly under 10.5 after seams. I am aiming at 6x8 rows for 48 blocks and planning borders.
It takes one strip of the color for each star and a bunch of background fabrics...(*bunch was technical tal talk for I don't know offhand here)
*this means I should have 96 pinwheels and that 48 are lefts and 48 are rights

No comments:

Post a Comment