Saturday, November 24, 2012

Emerson Android Tablet

I have to confess that all quilting stopped and I did a 3 day shopping frenzy. It ended well with a surprise purchase I didn't intend to buy. It is my new hot toy. It was a Black Friday special from Big Lots. I went to get an 8" tablet for my neighbor. I didn't even look at the smaller one. I figured it wouldn't be worth having. WRONG!  So, later I told a friend about the small version since she wanted one for a grandchild. We had to drive about an hour to get to a store that still had them. I couldn't believe that they seemed nice. I ended up with a white one. It looks like an Ipod.  I got an micro sd card cheap from Staples Black Friday sale too.
  The trip ended up with a strained friendship. The purchased tablet is terrific. I will do all shopping by myself from this time forward though. I will not go thru that again. I had been enjoying it all including the crowds.
  The Emerson tablet is nicer than the first generation of Kindle Fire. It has awesome features including, a camera/video, microphone, memory card slot, android 4 system, and several handy buttons ( a go back, volume up and volume down) It is a bit bigger than my cell phone and will be extremely convenient to carry everywhere. I took some time to load stuff on it last night. I will have more space to use with my 16gb memory card in it. I am seriously IMPRESSED. I can't say enough nice things. I just hope it lasts. I spent part of today loading apps and playing with it. I am in love with the voice ability. I can talk to it now. That gives it several apps that are amazing to use. I love the "assisstant" app. It is like Siri and I can talk to it. I will be able to make a voice recording and to use voice commands in other apps now. The camera is a handy thing too but not important to me.
I still have a few apps I want to add. I have to admit there is a slight problem with Google not working on it. For whatever reason, Google does not acknowledge it and won't directly let anybody put apps on it from Google play. I have about 5 other app stores I am getting apps from. Amazon works ok with it and I have gotten a couple there. I am making a set of notes for what I have done and how to. The documentation with it is EXCELLENT. All you need to do is READ it. I did that second... since I had been using a Kindle Fire. Would have been better to read it first. I am amazed at it. I already installed utube and watched Missouri quilt co. tutorial video last night.
  I don't have any books on it yet. I did use the connection provided by the manufacturer to go to the app stores that work well with it. These  don't require a credit card be given and have a bunch of free apps too. I did get an audio book or two but finally wanted to stop and put it on charge so I could play with it later. I am checking the battery time on it. I had it online and that is harder on the battery. I feel it is doing ok on the battery and is similar to the Kindle Fire. I think they are a lot less than what the company tries to claim. Yeah, I even loaded a fancy live wallpaper.
  Noteworthy for an Android app users: SlideMe marketplace for apps     * nicely done site LOOK at it.
  Most everything is working well. I had issues with what onscreen keyboard to use in the Kindle Fire and had to change my app to find a more pleasing one. I say this cause I am not really happy iwth the keyboard app. It is a bit large for the size of the screen. I may be able to just say what I want. It covers too much of the area on a website. It is a bit better turned the right way...still gonna look at different keyboard apps. I think the directional stuff is just a tad touchy. It is awefully nice overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment