Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tutorial GIANT chevron offset quilt

I am attempting to make a tutorial for a giant block large quilt. I have been side tracked by my dogs health several times now. I have several versions and charts that seem to be there own explaination in my opinion. I struggled to cut the right amount and put the colors together EXACTLY the way I wanted. So, I have the work done and 2 staring at me along with a second version. Color charts for right now are only in RED, WHITE BLUE and flag material. That should still allow anybody who can use paint to change the colors around and play with it to suit them.
FABRICS AND YARDAGE for largest size cut from 11" squares
   This is all dependent on the the number of fabrics you desire and the width of the fabric. The JoAnn fabrics with their name on them are very narrow and have the huge selvages taking even more of the fabric. The instructions are written for a 50x50 inch quilt but I have one chart with an extended length to be 70x90. The 50x50 is for a local nursing home.
   I have drawings that are colored. I have a blank chart with a letter system for using 2 shades of each of the colors. This chart should help with making any other one using 2 shades per color. example: 2 red fabrics, 2 blue fabrics and 2white if desired. This is the simplest set of directions so that it is even faster for a patriotic.
  The 11" pieces will make 4 per strip WOF only if the fabric is a full width. The others will only give you 3 squares and a left over that you can use in the next size that is made with 8.5" cuts. Of the 3 squares you get 6 blocks using the 2 colors RST and cutting on a diagonal. These end up 10.5 before assembly and finish at 10" blocks.
This is the 11" chart. NOTE: this is in progress
                                SQUARES ARE CUT AT 11" .....and finished block is 10.5


                     

No comments:

Post a Comment