Saturday, August 10, 2013

Side tracked by Carpenter Star

I have been side tracked by making a Carpenter Star. I think it is nice. I think it will look good. It took me forever... It is suppose to be a 4 hour job. I admit being distracted by family stuff. I admit being upset over family "stuff". I have a second Carpenter Star in the making. I have the borders cut for both. I stopped to figure yardage and stash to make at least one of these patriotic quilts for ME. I don't mean to make it right now. I just want to be careful about the large amount it will take and size of the squares. I have almost 5 yards of a nice denim color with stars. I have other patriotic blues and fabrics. I want a 70x90 chevron. It was going to take 77" of a dark blue. I have some seriously old stash that is really 45" wide! I will be able to cut the blue from it using 55". It is sad and irritating that the fabric today is 38 to 40 inches and has up to 1" selvages...and costs an arm and a leg.
  So making a Carpenter star was on my list. It isn't any more. I have admired all that I have seen. I was frustrated after sewing stuff together on the wrong end of the row and sewing one 3 times to get it right. I should have quit for the day. I still need to do the second one. Most of the blocks are done. I was tempted to make them into a pinwheel quilt. Doesn't really look as nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment