Friday, March 4, 2016

1884 Singer Sewing Machine

I picked up my 1884 Singer fiddle base sewing machine today along with other goodies to go with singer machines. I got it home and was pleasantly surprised at the condition. I oiled it and let it sit for a while. I couldn't stand it and started to clean it and check it out. I scrubbed it inside and out.I scrubbed it twice and wiped it off and oiled it again. I have plenty photos and a little video of my findings. I really felt that somebody must have cared about this one for a long time and it had been stored well till recently. Somebody put one new shiny spool post in it but the rest seemed to be older. The photos of it on Ebay sure looked worse than what it is. I was referring to it as my new rust bucket.
   I was hoping that the decals would show up a bit nicer after cleaning. They are faint. They must have been pretty when they were new. I contacted Singer and got a response. They informed me that The models this age have names not model numbers. Mine is simply "improved family".  Other reading says it is the precursor of the model 15. I am going to eventually try to post this to the Treadleon people and ask if they can point me in the right direction for any other info. The serial number is  6453801
 http://ismacs.net/   site shows this is 1884

This information is from
 http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer%20improved%20family.htm

Improved Family Oscillating Shuttle
The Singer Company started production of the
Improved Family machine in 1879, it was, at the time,
a major step forward in having an oscillating shuttle
and high arm. It was designed for domestic and light
manufacturing use. Manufactured mainly as a treadle
machine with various types of cabinet work some hand
crank machines were also produced.
Although it is the forerunner of the Model 15 its
mechanism is different and the bobbin smaller.
DATING: The Singer Company still holds the date of
commissioning for its machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment