Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Cleaning Vintage Sewing Machine

I have used the information from several blogs and groups. I will add sources  here if I get permission from the people and places. The information I am mostly using is including  making the decals too. Please check out this blog: http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/2013_11_01_archive.html
The general idea is that Tuff Stuff foam appears to be safe for Singers. I damaged decals on my A. G. Mason Golden Star using Tuff Stuff. The New Home, RUBY, was fine using this on the decals!
   I am soaking the RUBY in kerosene now. I am hoping it softens the varnish gunk on it and is easier to remove. I spent $5 on a tub the right size. I spent $15 on kerosene. I spent $20 on the blue 5 gallon can to use for kerosene. I am thinking the Tuff Stuff was the best way to go.
   First of all, I used 3in1 oil on everything that had a screw or could be removed. I couldn't get slide plates off, face plates, or screw from most places. They were glued in place with gunk. I wiped some oil off after leaving overnight. I removed what I could and did the same thing over.

No comments:

Post a Comment