Friday, March 18, 2016

Vintage Machine Varnish

As I started to buy vintage machines, I looked at them and thought all the orangish stuff was rust. Most of what I purchased looked either better or worse than it was when I saw it in person. I found that the photos flattered some but mostly made them look worse than they were. The varnish is a build up of old grease and oil. It is horribly thick on at least 2 of my machines.
  Cleaning a couple of the machines was easy enough with 2 brushes and the Tuff Stuff. It was amazing. Those machines had a light coating of the dried stuff.
  Cleaning the really gunky thick blackened stuff off the worst ones was awful. I opted to go get a container to soak the worse machines in kerosene. The amount of elbow grease it was taking and the time was getting to me. I have to drag the stuff to the basement to do that. I can't have the dogs getting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment