Monday, September 17, 2012

crazy quilting

NOTE: this is from my old blog on wordpress. I am tyring not to lose the info there.

crazy quilting

March 19, 2012 I’m still toying with the idea of making a crazy quilt. I had the opportunity to watch 2 of the free shows on crazy quilting from The Quilt Show yesterday. I signed up to do this without a clue of what should go into this type of quilt. I have looked at and studied some of the techniques etc and almost decided I can’t do justice to it right now. I thought it was extremely interesting watching Susan Schrempf use the sewing machine to do silk ribbon embroidery. She does a cool job with it. I hope that everybody else can mananage to make theirs. I am not sure I will. I have so many that I want to do and the other shows I watched caused an even bigger problem. I want to make a Kaleidoscope quilt!
Feb. 10, 2012 and I haven’t started my crazy quilt yet. I have a bunch of new info from a really nice lady who gave me encouragement and info. I asked a slew of questions and got a list of sources and tips. I am just sucked into some of the quilts I already needed done. I will make an effort to get a block done with month.
I am including a link here to the blog site for the crazy quilt journal project. The registration for it ends Dec. 27, 2011 but the project is a year long activity. http://www.cqjp2012.blogspot.com/
http://www.kittyandmedesigns.com/ from tutorials on stitches to dying silk ribbons.
This looks like a MUST have site list:
http://stitchinfingers.ning.com/page/tutorials-1
I have no experience at crazy quilting but may make one. I have some fabrics and ideas for that type of quilt. I am sure I had a booklet on it years ago. I am gonna give a try anyway. I want some crushed velvet in mine.
I have 2 books from the 1990′s for silk ribbon embroidery which is one of the things I dabbled in back then. I have been researching the crazy quilts history. I was astounded at the stitchwork done by the ladies of the 1890′s. I found a lot of short videos on utube. I don’t really want to just use the sewing machine with fancy stitched on mine. There is a nice utube video to start with a 5 sided piece stitched onto a muslin block and how to add the other pieces around it.
*NEW interesting site for supplies: http://www.crazyquiltsilk.com/ they have silk kits! The site was down for the holidays when I found them but I saved it to look at supplies. They open back up Jan. 2. Check it out!
I am going to have to order supplies online. Our local stores phased out silk ribbon and Michaels Crafts closed here. It appears there are considerable silk ribbons on ebay. I also located silk ribbon supplies here:
http://www.silkribbon.com/category_23/YLI-Ribbon-Connections-Silk-Embroidery-Ribbon.htm
I see that it is mostly done with size 3mm,7mm, and 13mm. I want lace and beadwork too. I just got some small spools of cotton lace and I am looking for mother of pearl beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment